About

Aimsites.org is a service designed for AIM Missionaries to create and maintain their own website or blog.

Find out more here.

Sign up

Are you an AIM Missionary wanting a blog to share what God is doing in Africa and amongst Africans?

Click here to get started.

Sign in

Lost your password?

Explore

Find blogs

By country
By ministry

Featured posts

Featured media

On-field media resources

Africa Inland Mission
September 5, 2016 4:04 am
Published in: Ministry Life

The Land Rover was running great and I returned home in time for supper. I had been a good day, visiting several area church primary schools and local evangelists. I parked the vehicle and called it a day.

The next day I was to go on another trip. The Land Rover wouldn’t start. Oh, it turned over O.K. but would not fire at all. Thinking it was a fuel problem, I had an African workman step on the starter while I held my hand over the carburetor input to try and ‘suck’ petrol (gasoline) into the system. But, instead of suction, the carburetor ‘blew back’ at me. What?? I went to the back of the vehicle and put my hand over the exhaust pipe opening and found suction there! What?? Double What?? Intake=exhaust; Exhaust=intake!!! Timing is way off.

Big job! Radiator removed; fan removed; timing cover removed.  That series of Land Rover used a chain & sprocket system for the timing. The chain was loose and, on removing it, I found that the  hydraulic tensioner had developed a pin-hole in it allowing the hydraulic pressure to escape. The timing had completely reversed in the process, probably while trying to start it that morning.

As a temporary fix, I drilled the pin-hole larger and hammered in a copper rivet which sealed it. I put everything back together and it seemed everything was now O.K. and the vehicle ran fine. But, just in case, I tried to get a new tensioner – but none was available in either Tanzania or Kenya. I had to order one all the way from England – and that took close to 2 months before it arrived.

I never put the new part in. The Land Rover kept running for several more years with my copper rivet in the tensioner. When I sold the vehicle about 4 years later, before we came to the USA on leave, I passed on the new tensioner to the purchaser. There really is no use doing another ‘repair’ that really wasn’t needed!

Leave a comment